Content Insurance


What is content insurance?

This is insurance that pays for damage to, or loss of an individual’s home. Some contents policies also provide restricted cover for personal possessions temporarily taken away from the home by the policyholder.

This type of insurance is usually sold alongside home insurance. Many insurance providers are opting to bundle this type of insurance with home insurance or car insurance.

What most insurance providers offer:

Contents insurance covers items in your home against theft, attempted theft and burglary, fire, lightning, malicious damage, storm, rain, wind, hail, snow and flood damage.

It generally covers possessions you’d take with you when moving house, or anything that isn’t a fixed feature of your home.

The types of possessions may include:

  • Household goods
  • Furniture
  • Valuables
  • Personal belongings
  • Money

Insurance is provided against risks such as:

  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Fire damage
  • Water damage
  • Storm damage
  • Earthquake damage

To benefit from lower insurance premiums you could add more security features to your home. Any preventive measures taken to secure your home and its contents will help to reduce your premiums.

Types of Content Insurance:

Many insurance providers offer policies which provide new-for-old cover on most items. Some insurers also offer indemnity cover which takes into account the cost of wear and tear when an item is replaced.

It’s important to make sure that you fully understand what you are covered for and how the claims process works with your insurance provider of choice. Make sure that you read your policy fully.

When you are applying for content insurance you need to check the excesses that apply. A simple way that you could make sure that you are adequately covered is by keeping photos and a description of valuable items. In the event of a claim you could provide the insurance company with this proof.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

17 + 14 =