Highest paid soccer player – it is a sport loved and watched by millions of people in South Africa. This sport is the most widely played sport in South Africa with its traditional support base in the black community. Soccer is not only loved but it has become a rich business sector.
Currently, South Africa’s premier soccer league is the seventh biggest earner of sponsorship revenue among football leagues worldwide. It is therefore not surprising that local players are some of the best paid on the continent. Below is a list of some of the best paid soccer players in South Africa.
- Teko Modise – from very humble beginnings at club stints at SuperSport United and Orlando Pirates, Teko Modise who now plays for Mamelodi Sundowns is among the highest paid with a salary worth around R450,000.
- Siphiwe Tshabalala – Famously remembered around the world for having scored the first goal at the 2010 FIFA world cup, this Kaizer Chiefs midfielder is reportedly earning between R350000 to R450000.
- Itumeleng Khune – Working his way through the Kaizer Chiefs ranks to become the clubs and country’s number one shot stopper,”Itu”as he is popularly known is reportedly earning around R300,000 per month.
- Elias Pelembe – Elias Gaspar Pelembe, also known simply as Domingues, is a Mozambican footballer who currently plays for Mamelodi Sundowns.His monthly salary is said to be around R400,000.
- Anthony Laffor – Having established a strong reputation at Jomo Cosmos, Liberian international footballer Anthony Laffor commands a salary of around R350,000 a month.
- Katlego Mphela – Kathlego Mphela or “Killer”as he is affectionately nicknamed by fans is a product of local club Jomo Cosmos but also played in France.After playing for SuperSport United and Mamelodi Sundowns, this player is now on the books of Kaizer Chiefs with a whopping salary of R4.2 million per year.
While the list above may not be conclusive, the mentioned names certainly rank among the top earners.