When you are looking for insurance cover it’s important to understand how insurance works. Understanding the basics of car insurance will make you confident that the car insurance policy you choose will take care of your needs in the event of an accident.
The trick is to be able to find a balance between a quote that is the cheapest while it also offers you the best value for money.
When you’re looking for insurance, it will serve you well to compare as many quotes as possible.
Typical questions you may be asked include:
- What is the colour of your car?
- Have you ever taken any advanced driving courses?
- Do you use your car for private or business purposes?
- Do you use public transport?
- Where do you park your car during the day and overnight?
- Do you work from home?
- Are you retired?
How it works:
There are various types of car insurance, such as Pay As You Drive, Third Party only cover, Third Party, Fire & Theft cover.
You can choose to apply by calling and speaking to an agent or you can apply online. An agent will talk to you to determine your exact needs and to calculate a personalised quote just for you.
Most insurers offer clients a discount if they apply online. Some additional benefits may include free roadside assistance and rewards even if you claim.
Factors that insurance companies consider when providing you with a car insurance quote:
- Number of years that you have been driving
- Where your car is parked during the day and night. Is it parked in a safe environment?
- Your age
- The area in which you live
You need to make sure that you provide the insurance company with accurate information. Not only will this give you an accurate quote, but you also get insurance cover designed to meet your individual needs.