Third Party Fire And Theft Insurance


Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance

All cars need to be insured – it’s the law. But you get to choose what level of cover your car has. Are the more basic options right for you?

What does third-party only insurance cover?

Third-party only insurance (TPO) offers you the legal minimum level of car insurance cover, and is the most basic you’re able to get. This kind of policy helps protect other people, vehicles and property in the event of an accident that was deemed to be your fault.

Say you drive into the rear of someone’s car, causing damage to the bumper and injuring the driver. Your third-party insurance would cover the cost of the other person’s car and medical expenses. What isn’t covered, though, is damage to your own car or any injuries you suffer. For that, you’d need a comprehensive insurance policy. Otherwise those costs are on you.

In short, third-party only cover is the best way to ensure that, if someone suffers a road accident that isn’t their fault, their costs can be recuperated.

What does third-party, fire and theft insurance cover?

As well as third-party damage, third-party, fire and theft (TPFT) lets you claim for:

  • Replacing your car if it’s stolen
  • Damage that happens as the result of an attempted theft eg broken door locks or a stolen radio.
  • Fire damage to the car

This cover for fire damage applies to accidental fires as well as arson – though you’ll need a crime reference number to claim for the latter.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

10 − ten =