Launched in South Africa in 2013, Uber is an application that allows users to find a taxi nearby and to pay for the service by debit or credit card. With a current market value of $50 billion, the company now has a presence in 340 cities worldwide.
Uber Technologies Inc. is an American international mobile ride hail company with headquarters in San Francisco, California. The technology allows consumers with smartphones to submit a trip request which is then routed to Uber drivers who use their own cars.
Since inception, Uber has been considered to be a digital disruptor.
The application has recently expanded to offer its customers services such as UberEATS and seeks to disrupt other services in the near future.
A new way that the app seeks to create easier ways for customers to access its services is through its new gifting system.
More about Uber’s New Gifting System:
An Uber Gift Card can be bought at any retail outlet.
“Whether it’s a ride across the city or your favourite UberEATS meal delivered at Uber speed, we’re making it even easier to get what you want, when you want it and the gift cards will also make things much easier for those who wish not to use card or cash,” said Uber.
The gift cards are offered from R100 to R200 and loading the gift on your app is as easy as ordering a ride.
How it works:
• Purchase your Uber gift card
• Open the Uber app on your device
• Navigate to “Payment” on the app menu
• Under “Promotions,” select “Add Promo/Gift Code”
• Enter the card’s Gift Code
• The promotion will then be added to your Uber Account
“If the ride fee or UberEATS fee is less than the value on the card, the remaining amount can be used on the next ride or EATS purchase,” said Uber.
Uber’s new gifting system also comes with a number of restrictions:
• The voucher code cannot be reloaded with additional funds after purchase
• The voucher is not redeemable outside of South Africa
• The voucher is not redeemable for cash