Understanding House Contents Insurance


What is house contents insurance?

This type of insurance cover is for possessions you’d take with you when moving house.  Usually sold alongside buildings insurance, this cover may also cover portable possessions. It’s important to work out how much it would cost to replace all your contents with new items.  

What is covered by house contents insurance?

  • Household goods
  • Furniture
  • Valuables
  • Personal belongings
  • Money

What you need to know about house contents insurance:

House contents insurance is not mandatory, but it’s advisable to get it – especially if you’re renting. Your landlord’s building insurance won’t cover your items if there’s a fire or if there’s damage caused by flooding or a burst geyser.

This type of insurance covers all items in your house which are not fixed to the property.

House contents insurance will cover you in most of the same situations as buildings insurance, but also covers theft.

You need to make sure that do a house contents inventory count. Make sure that you inform your insurer if you need to add any new items. The last thing that you want is to be paying out of-pocket in the event that your new items are stolen or damaged.

What types of perils are insured against?

  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Fire damage
  • Water damage
  • Storm damage
  • Earthquake damage

The type of cover is unique to each insurance policy. You need to make sure that you read your policy carefully and that you fully understand what you are covered for, as well as any exclusions.

How can you get cheaper house contents insurance?

  • You need to compare as many insurance policies as possible
  • You need to consider combining your home and car insurance policies
  • You need to make sure that you ask for discounts
  • You can consider paying higher excess in order to reduce your premiums


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

6 + 12 =