What is motorcycle insurance?
This type of insurance provides financial protection in the event of a motorcycle accident, loss theft or damage. Policies may provide coverage for motorcycles, fast street bikes and even Segways. Motorcycle insurance will provide compensation in the event that you cause harm to another person or their property.
You can also customise your motorcycle insurance for:
- Full replacement cost of your bike
- Comprehensive coverage
- Medical payments
Motorcycle insurance is more expensive due to the higher risk motorcycle drivers face on the road. Why is this?
- Recovery rates for stolen motorcycles are low
- Motorcycles are relatively easy to steal
- There is higher incidence of serious and fatal injuries
It may be more difficult to see motorcycles on the road and in blind spots, which may often lead to high accident rates
What to look for in a motorcycle insurance quote:
Keep in mind that super bikes may be costlier to insure.
This type of insurance works in the same way that car insurance works, so you can choose between comprehensive cover and third party cover. Comprehensive insurance ensures that you’re covered for theft of your motorcycle, or parts of it.
The amount of motorcycle insurance you need depends on the type of bike you own and how you plan to use it.
Most insurance companies allow you to adjust the amount of your excess. So if you can afford to, you can raise your excess amount and thereby pay a lower monthly premium.
How to get a cheaper motorcycle insurance quote:
- Don’t pay monthly. You can save more by paying annually instead.
- Cap your mileage. By travelling less, you’ll spend less on motorcycle insurance because you’re less of a risk to the insurance company.
- Use a comparison site.
- Go for an advanced riding course.
- Ride solo.