Most people have seen the stories of Hollywood stars splurging millions of dollars. Whether it’s through real estate, Batmobile-like cars or holidays in the Bahamas, movie stars and successful musicians who’ve hit the big time don’t hold back on the spending.
One actor who’s recently run into some trouble as a result of his extravagant spending habits is Johnny Depp.
Depp, who had his breakthrough role in the 1990s television show 21 Jump Street and later found worldwide acclaim for his turn as Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise, has been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately.
Following his nasty split from actress Amber Heard, Depp has gone on to sue his business managers (The Management Company) to the tune of $25 million for “grossly mismanaging his earnings”.
The company is countersuing the actor.
The company is accusing the actor of ignoring their repeated warnings about his spending habits on his lavish lifestyle.
“TMG did everything within its power over the last 17 years to protect Depp from himself and to keep Depp financially solvent,” the company said.
Depp claimed that his former business managers “failed to file or pay his taxes on time, costing him $5.6 million in federal penalties and interest, failed to keep proper books and loaned nearly $10 million of his money to third parties without authorisation”.
So if you want to know more about Johnny Depp’s R27 million a month spending habit, here’s how he spent his millions:
- Maintaining 14 homes, including a French chateau and a chain of islands in the Bahamas
- $30 000 spent on wine alone
- Heavy spending on a 150-foot yacht, private jet flights and buying collections of art
- Full-time personal security and 45 luxury cars
- $10 million a year to support his entourage, family and friends
- Over $3 million spent to “blast from a specially-made cannon the ashes of author Hunter Thompson over Aspen, Colorado”.
- Approximately 70 collectable guitars and works by famous artists such as Warhol, Klimt and Basquiat
- Over $4 million on a start-up musical label run by a childhood friend
Looking at the different ways the actor spent his money, it’s not surprising that Johnny Depp’s R27 million a month spending habit has put him in this much trouble.